Tuesday, June 17, 2008

CSA confessions

I have a confession to make: This CSA thing has floored me.

Following last week's cooking debacle, I awaited my next batch of produce from the CSA with trepidation. Frankly, I was worried.

I opened my box, and my worry was for good reason: To more green peppers to add to last week's now-wilting pair. Another bunch of radishes to add to the slices still in my fridge. A sack of mustard greens, which frankly terrify me after my mushy green fiasco. None of the snow peas or thyme listed as possibilities for my box.

At least we were blessed with thick bundles of green onions and radishes, as well as a Siamese twin of a yellow squash, which sadly was moldy on my counter within two days.

I confess. I am still struggling with the idea of cooking around the produce, rather than planning a menu then shopping accordingly. I still have no clue what to do with mustard greens, for instance.

What has worked? A steak salad recipe from Rachel Ray's 365 meals, served with our spring lettuce and slivered radishes. (Will post recipe later). Tonight will be something my husband will grill, along with "Radish Supreme," sauteed radishes and shallots from a recipe I'd gotten from the CSA. I'm tentative, but hopefully will get used to this concept.

[ Deleted link to Radish Supreme recipe on the CSA's blog on Jan. 30, 2009, following demands from the organization to do so. If you would like a copy of the recipe, please e-mail me at goinggreenmama at gmail and I will be happy to provide the recipe to you! ]

No comments: