Thursday, August 19, 2010

How does your garden grow? (Or not?)

Ninety-plus degree temps. High humidity. No rain. No relief.

I moved out of Kansas to avoid that.

But still, eight years later, this weather has found me this summer. Weeks of unseasonably hot weather has wrecked havoc on people's patience - and my plants.

I wish I could say I've had gardening success. But I've gotten less tomatoes than I have tomato plants; my lettuce and broccoli bolted before I harvested anything. My melons are the size of plums and don't grow beyond that. My zucchini I think just now is kicking out its first fruit - of three plants. In fact, I'm giving up (at least in the short term) on growing much other than a small amount of compost.

The only thing that's doing well - and very well at that - are my asparagus beans, which are vining over my raised beds and throughout my yard, producing lots of leaves and a few beans that are the length of my toddler's arm. And the flavor is wonderful in a stir-fry.

Sad to say, I've been in a holding pattern the last month, hestitant to start any fall planting, but worried that I'll miss my small window of opportunity before the October frost begins.

So how has your season held up?

No comments: