Sunday, December 21, 2008

Indianapolis Winter Farmers Market

The Indianapolis Winter Farmers Market (at 25th and Central, downtown) was a bundle of action this Saturday.

It was the first time for me to visit this market, now in its second month, and I admit my expectations were low. It's the first year for this market, after all, and I've been to a few winter markets with varying success. Much of what's available at winter markets in Indiana are meats, baked goods and canned items like salsas or sauces. They're not items easy to peruse with two small children in tow.

I was pleasantly surprised with the variety of the Indianapolis market, though. Yes, you have your usual "winter" fare, but we also found cold-season vegetables, cheeses, fresh pasta, chocolate, mushrooms, wines, apples and other goods.

I wasn't expecting this kind of variety, so I hadn't planned a menu or a shopping list for our trip. But I did pick up some bok choy (that was not wilted, unlike what I got from my CSA) for a fabulous vegetarian stir-fry that we made this evening. We also bought cloth wipes from Ragamuffin Diapers, as we're continuing our transition to a cloth-diaper home.

The Indianapolis Winter Market is a definite repeater and a nice alternative to Traders Point Creamery's market. It is open Saturday mornings from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. through April.

No comments: