Thursday, July 16, 2009

Squash recipes redux

I will not eat them here or there. I will not eat them anywhere!

Dr. Seuss may have been badmouthing Green Eggs & Ham, but the latest banned food in our house is none other than the humble yellow summer squash.

Let me first state for the record that it was my oldest who was attracted by the bright yellow vegetables on the plant label. Apparently, she should have stuck to admiring the pictures.

As my squash keep growing, I've been trying desperately the last week to find some kind of squash recipe that the kids will tolerate. What I'm finding is you can dress them up, but squash is still squash. Raw, sauteed, even fried, those kids know it's squash on their plate.

It didn't matter that a cooking show this weekend featured fried zucchini as a recipe. I thought it was the perfect opportunity to show my little chef what the recipes actually turned out like in person. Right. One bite, and she was done. I even stretched things and tried a recipe for fried squash blossoms. The kids were all for that - and why wouldn't they be? The flowers are so thin it was basically fried flour.

No matter what I've tried, I haven't succeeded in convincing my kids to try more than a bite without tossing it on the floor. However, I've made a meal out of summer squash with toasted garlic and lime and experimented with a summer squash "pasta," of which no one really enjoyed. (Sorry, the julienned squash was just too mushy for this al dente girl.)

Right now, after my vast experiment with summer squash recipes, I'm about ready to simply call a truce. I think I have some coworkers who appreciate a little free food!

4 comments:

City Girl said...

Here's one I tried on my 4yo -
http://greenadventuresofacitygirl.blogspot.com/2009/06/using-up-box.html

It tastes AMAZING esp if you put some extra cheese on top...but the squash is NOT disguised at all. My 4yo actually DID like it (you know how you can just tell by their face?) but wouldn't admit it...!

City Girl said...

Whoops -and after all that I gave you the wrong recipe. Well, if it's useful, here it is:
http://greenadventuresofacitygirl.blogspot.com/2009/06/csa-weeks-5-6.html

CRH said...

Have you tried frying it up with butter zuchini and mushrooms, then scramble some eggs in there, then squirt ketchup over the squash to disguise it??? I also make a mean summer sqaush casserole, let me know if you'd like the recipe...has mayo and sour cream with a bunch of other stuff...uber yummy!good to take to cookouts.

LacyHolly said...

ravioli! :)