Sunday, June 15, 2014

Treat boxes: DIY from party cups

My daughter's birthday is fast approaching, and, following an accident that left her on crutches, we abandoned the idea of our traditional at-home parties with games in lieu of (gasp) a party at the local frozen yogurt store.

We had already purchased cute little nail polishes for the girls to do pedicures (thanks to an amazing clearance sale at Justice - 60 cents each!) and I needed some way to package them since we were no longer doing pedicures. 

Plastic gift bags just weren't an option in my book. I struggle with the idea of tossable cellophane bags. 

Instead, I turned to Pinterest and got a brainstorm. My daughter is into pink and blue - and cheetah prints - so this was a perfect solution.


Here's how I pulled off the look: 
  1. I'd purchased extra paper party cups, so my packaging was 90% there! (I used 8 or 9 ounce paper party cups).
  2. I trimmed off the rim off the paper cups.
  3. I made eight cuts, about 1 - 1 1/2 inches down, from the top of the cup. It helps to loosely fold in half, make the cuts on each fold, then turn and cut, repeat. 
  4. I put the gifts in the cup.
  5. Each of the eight cuts were folded over each other and finally held together with clear tape.
  6. The flowers on top were made with my Cricut (thanks, Mom!) and adhered with the sticky circles repurposed from the nail polish packaging. Alternately, stickers could be used on top.
I though it was a great grown-up but fun alternative for my pre-teen to be!




1 comment:

Barb @ A Life in Balance said...

Love this! My dd7 would like these cups, too.

Frozen yogurt place parties can be fun, too. My dd7 went to one recently, and had a blast. They got to color t-shirts, make their own dessert, and get their faces painted.

Thanks for sharing at Fabulously Frugal Thursday.