While I'd dabbled in essential oils for stress relief, it wasn't until last summer, deep in a web relaunch-induced migraine and tossing a mini bottle around in my hand that I opted to do it. I dropped the oil in my hands. Rubbed my temples. And in minutes the headache was gone.
Funny thing is it wasn't just once. It worked over and over. And then the other day, cleaning out my desk, I found a bottle of headache medicine - expired 12/12 - that had long gathered dust.
The reality is quality peppermint oil - not the diluted stuff or extracts - really rocks and is so versatile.
Here are 10 reasons to LOVE peppermint essential oil:
- Headache relief. And on really bad days, I mix it with frankincense essential oil to "amp" it up.
- Helping nausea. Last fall was our first trip that we didn't buy Dramamine - and that's with us driving through the Smoky Mountains AND taking a boat trip. When in doubt, we use peppermint oil.
- Staying pumped. Peppermint essential oil is great to simply rub in your palms and breathe deeply when you are stressed or worn out. My daughter says it helps her work well at school, and she loves it in water at soccer practice.
- Keeping bugs at bay. Peppermint essential oil wards off ants, spiders and mice. (Thankfully the mice bit I haven't had to put to the test!)
- Aches and pains. Peppermint essential oil is great for muscle aches, pains and even arthritis.
- Slowing allergies. I use two drops each of peppermint, lavender and lemon essential oils in a veggie capsule when my allergies are at my worst.
- Cooling off. Peppermint essential oil in water is a great cooling spray on hot summer days.
- Stopping fever. When my kids come down with a fever, I rub peppermint essential oil on their feet and neck as often as needed. It makes a difference in minutes, and I don't have to wait the four to six hours I might need to do with Tylenol or ibuprofen. (And use of peppermint oil doesn't preclude you from using over the counter medications, either!)
- Freshen breath. 'Nuff said. (Personally I love the peppermint beadlets that doTERRA just came out with!)
- Making my son smile. My little guy likes peppermint on one foot, lemon on the other. I don't get it but it relaxes him and makes him happy. If he's happy, mom's happy!
Love peppermint oil too? Take doTERRA's Peppermint Challenge. Complete this form and I'll send you a coupon to trade in a bottle (new, in use or empty) of peppermint essential oil for a bottle of doTERRA's brand. Offer ends Sept. 15.
Want to buy? Please consider checking out my affiliate link to buy peppermint or other essential oils.