While I've never quite gotten used to the fact that Indiana markets don't start until May or June, those dates are fast approaching. And if you're in Indy and avoiding the Mini traffic next weekend, savor a slower start to your Saturday by checking out many of the farmers markets opening up.
Here's a partial list of markets opening soon. I'm sure there are others as more and more people express interest in supporting local farmers. If I've missed one, drop them in the comments below.
- Bloomington: Open 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays through October. (Read review.)
Opening this weekend:
- Broad Ripple Farmers Market: Broad Ripple High School. Hours not posted on the site but come early on Saturday mornings - It's always been busy when I've attended! (More info; last season's review)
- Greenwood Farmers Market: Saturdays 8 a.m. to noon through October. (Last season's review)
- Traders Point Creamery Green Market: Fridays from 4 to 8 p.m. through the last Friday in October.
Other May starts:
- Binford Farmers Market, corner of 62nd and Binford in Indy: - Saturdays 8 a.m. to 12 noon May 9 through Oct. 25 (More info)
- Carmel Farmers Market: Saturdays 8 to 11:30 May 30 through Sept. 26
- Chateau Thomas Winery Farmers Market: Thursdays, 4 to 8 p.m. beginning May 7 (More info)
- Fishers Farmers Market: Saturdays 8 a.m. to noon, May 16 to Sept. 26 (More info)
- Indianapolis City Market: Wednesdays 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. May through October, downtown. (Last season's review)
- Martinsville Farmers Market: Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. until noon beginning May 30. (More info)
- Noblesville Farmers Market: Saturdays 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. May 23 to Oct. 31 (More info)
- Columbus Farmers Market: Saturdays, 9 a.m. to noon, June through September (More info)
Franklin Farmers Market: Saturdays, 8 to 11 a.m., June 6 to Oct. 3
- Irvington Farmers Market, Ellenberger Park on Indy's east side: Runs 11:45 a.m. to 3 p.m. on second Sunday of June, July, August, September and October. (More info)
- Kokomo Farmers Market: Saturdays 8 a.m. to noon, June 13 to Oct. 10
- Mooresville Farmers Market: Wednesdays, 3 to 7 p.m. beginning June 3 (More info)
- Terre Haute Farmers Market: Saturdays from 8 a.m. to noon, from June 6 through end of October (More info)
- Zionsville Farmers Market - Saturdays from 8 to 11 a.m., June 6-Sept. 26 (More info)