Monday, July 14, 2014

Prayer Kneelers for Kids

Helping my children learn to pray is once of the greatest joys - and challenges - I have had as a parent.


While perusing the garden clearance, I was inspired to make prayer kneelers for my kids. I had seen this idea last summer on Catholic Icing, initially considering this as part of our Brownie troop's Family of God religious award journey, but would think about gathering supplies for the project when it was definitely out of season.

Lately I've noticed that my youngest has created a "prayer spot," completely unprovoked, in his room. There is an "Our Father" poster he made in kindergarten, as well as a cross and the various crafts he's made during Vacation Bible School. I thought a prayer kneeler would be a great addition.

I found these apple-shaped garden kneelers on clearance at Walgreens for $2 each, and I used marker to decorate them with a rosary and children's names to create portable prayer kneelers for my godchild and for my children. 

(Why portable? Of course the kids are going to carry things around. Everywhere...)

The kids' prayer kneelers will be packaged with some inspirational reading for Christmas gifts. (I can also see it as a gift for First Communion, or a craft project for Vacation Bible School or Sunday school class.)

prayer kneelers for kids - easy craft idea for Girl Scouts, Cub Scouts, Little Flowers, Blue Knights, American Heritage Girls

On the back, it says "When life gets too hard to stand, kneel." I hope the kids take it to heart.

1 comment:

Shannon @ Of The Hearth said...

I love this idea! It's affordable, practical, and (best of all) encourages spiritual growth. A book on a spiritual topic really completes the gift. Thanks for sharing!