Monday, July 7, 2014

Indy Reads: Indianapolis' best independent bookstore


The Indy Reads bookstore, nestled downtown on Massachusetts Avenue, is a treasure chest of used books, new books and community resources for those dedicated to adult literacy.

I learned about Indy Reads some time ago but had not had an opportunity to head to Massachusetts Avenue to check out the bookstore.

The inside reminded me of an old bookstore I frequented during my college years in Lawrence-- high wooden bookshelf with books tall to the ceiling, cozy chairs to snuggle in and read a good book, hot coffee at the ready, and little nooks to nestle in for reading or discussion. The store even had an area on this rainy night for children learning to play chess.

The best part? There is a section for pay what you can afford so that nobody can go without a good book.

I appreciate the fact that not only it's an independent bookstore in Indianapolis but also that all the proceeds benefit programs for adult literacy. I had no idea the extent of literacy problems in our city -- one in five adults struggle to read a basic billboard -- before I talked to the staff.  You will be bet I'll be back not only to shop but to "return" my finished books to go toward the cause. (They take donations.)

Indy Reads is located at 911 Massachusetts Avenue Indianapolis, IN 46202. For more information, call 317.384.1496 or visit its Facebook page.

No comments: