Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Baked Honey Blueberry French Toast

My husband bought me a copy of Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day a few months back, and I'll admit that until recently it sat on my shelf. I think I was disuaded by the more complicated recipes and ingredients.

But before our camping trip, I decided to get creative and make whole-wheat hot dog buns. They were surprisingly easy to make, though in my first attempt I made them far too wide for hot dogs. (My uncle Larry's brats, perhaps, would have worked, though.)

The kids loved the recipe, and I caught them sneaking buns from the oventop that next morning. But as far as use as a hot dog bun, it was a fail, knocking off the proportion of suspicious meat, ketchup and bread.

Back home, and facing the luxury of time off this week, we recast these whole-grain buns as baked french toast this morning. I tossed it with some leftover blueberries from the freezer and some wildflower honey. The verdict? The kids loved the dish and asked for seconds.

Baked Honey Blueberry French Toast
1 batch whole-wheat bread or hot dog buns (about 1 lb. bread if store-bought)
3 c. blueberries
6 eggs
1/2 c. milk
local honey

Chop bread into about 1-inch squares. Mix milk and eggs; toss with bread and spread in greased 9x12 pan. Sprinkle cinnamon liberally across the top. Add blueberries. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Drizzle honey on top when serving.


mek said...

I had a similar experience - love that recipe as bread, but it wasn't working for hamburger or hot dog buns. However, while not as whole-wheat-healthy, the King Arthur Flour recipe for buns was judged perfect by the whole family. Easy, too!

Robbie said...

Glad we weren't the only one!

Do you have a link for that recipe?

Green Bean said...

Dang, that french bread sounds good! Way to make lemonade, I mean french bread, out of . . . well you get my gist.