This year, though, the idea seems to be everywhere - from a host of environmental blogs to Paula Deen's Christmas magazine.
If you're a shopping slacker, the key to remember is you can't start most presents on Dec. 23. You have to plan ahead.
Crunchy Chicken recently had a discussion on this topic, and the readers posted some very creative ideas, including:
- gift certificates to a CSA
- market bags made from repurposed denim jeans
- buying vintage
- Easy hand-sewn gifts
- For man's best friend
- For the chef in the family
- Gifts in a jar
- Painted mugs (pack with the gift of choice - chocolates, coffees, etc.)
- Photo gifts
- Quick from the kitchen ideas
- Spa baskets
- Snowman kits
- Wrapping ideas
Of course, the one gift idea I can't beat - or ever dream to replicate - is from Abbie at Farmer's Daughter:
my then-boyfriend (now husband) gave me a 4-poster cherry bed that he builtIf only all of our gifts had such meaning!
on Christmas Eve, then proposed on Christmas morning.