Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Easy applesauce ice

Applesauce - you can't hardly raise a kid without it. But frankly, as a parent, I'm bored with it.


And then I got inspired.


The other day, my oh-so-tired daughter wanted to watch a cooking show, and on it the woman was discussing easy dinners. The dessert, only a few minutes to make, she said. Right. And healthy too? Dream on.


Call it a fancy name like "applesauce granita" if you wish, or you can call it like my daughter does: "applesauce ice cream." I won't argue with her insistence that there's no cream in the ice.


Here's the recipe. Ready? Take around 2 cups of applesauce (roughly a jar). Stir in a squirt or two of lemon juice. And freeze for at least an hour.


If you're feeling high-class, you can shave the ice into a nice serving bowl, serve with a sprig of mint, whatever.

If you're a harried mom of two, scoop it up like ice cream and watch the brain freeze happen!

2 comments:

bhelenj said...

With kids, whatever it takes.

Unknown said...

Oooh I'm trying this today! Applesauce is a daily must-have in our house. We buy the gallon sized cans of it at Costco.