Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Easy applesauce ice

Applesauce - you can't hardly raise a kid without it. But frankly, as a parent, I'm bored with it.

And then I got inspired.

The other day, my oh-so-tired daughter wanted to watch a cooking show, and on it the woman was discussing easy dinners. The dessert, only a few minutes to make, she said. Right. And healthy too? Dream on.

Call it a fancy name like "applesauce granita" if you wish, or you can call it like my daughter does: "applesauce ice cream." I won't argue with her insistence that there's no cream in the ice.

Here's the recipe. Ready? Take around 2 cups of applesauce (roughly a jar). Stir in a squirt or two of lemon juice. And freeze for at least an hour.

If you're feeling high-class, you can shave the ice into a nice serving bowl, serve with a sprig of mint, whatever.

If you're a harried mom of two, scoop it up like ice cream and watch the brain freeze happen!


Helen said...

With kids, whatever it takes.

Kellie said...

Oooh I'm trying this today! Applesauce is a daily must-have in our house. We buy the gallon sized cans of it at Costco.