Saturday, May 10, 2014

Southport Farmers Market

The amazing looking asparagus I landed
at the Southport Farmers Market.
Yesterday I had my first look at the Southport Farmers Market, located next to the Southport Antique Mall near Madison Avenue on the Indianapolis south side. The market opened late last year and is opening for its first full season this week.

The Southport Market has untraditional market hours: 9 a.m to 1 p.m. Tuesdays and 3 to 7 p.m. Fridays. 

After this long winter, I'm not surprised that there wasn't much for produce available when we stopped by for a late lunch hour Friday at 3. There were three bunches of think, locally grown asparagus (which we quickly snatched up) and a tub full of rhubarb to test. There were cheeses and meats, breads and a few crafts folks. But what was sorely missing were plants! I'm hoping it was because of the threat of rain, and I'm more than willing to give it another lunch-hour look.

No comments: