Sunday, April 20, 2014

Easy Apple Coleslaw (Mayo-free recipe)

I admit I have always hated coleslaw: The runny mayo, the drippy, wilted shreds of cabbage. But this recipe - this changed my viewpoint on coleslaw completely. In fact - don't tell anyone - it may make me a fan of slaw.

Coleslaw with no mayonnaise | easy apple coleslaw | coleslaw recipe

I began reading The PrayFit Diet: The Revolutionary, Faith-Based Plan to Balance Your Plate and Shed Weight recently, and was scanning the recipe section in the back. I stumbled on a one-serving recipe for apple slaw that was to accompany grilled pork chops. I took a leap of faith and decided it would work great as a side to the pulled-pork sandwiches I was planning.

Here's how I adapted the recipe for my family of four:

Easy Apple Coleslaw

1 1/2 cups shredded coleslaw mix (cabbage-carrots)
2 granny smith apples
2 carrots
2-3 teaspoons honey (I used blueberry honey, but any other local honey would work)
juice of one lemon
pinch of salt

Shred apples and carrots. Place in bowl and toss with the lemon juice to avoid browning. Add coleslaw mix, honey and salt; toss to combine.

What surprised me most was this coleslaw made fans of the slaw haters (me) and the traditionalists (my husband). 

Enjoy this grilling season!



No comments: