Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Fragile

Today I was reminded again and again just how fragile life can be.

I turned on the news to see a good friend's town engulfed in flames. I wasn't able to reach anyone until nearly 10 p.m. my time, when I finally reached her sister. Thankfully she is well, and her home is located between two of the shelters in Bastrop, Texas, so it appears to be out of harm's way.

Then I arrived at work and learned that a priest I'd known for years had passed away unexpectedly during the weekend. Fr. Ruta was such a friendly soul, and such a good servant of God.

And finally I learned tonight that a friend's mother has been diagnosed with cancer.

No matter the good times or bad, they can change in an instant. And that is why we have to have hope that things work out, in this world or the next.


2 comments:

Lisa said...

Sorry for your lose and bad news! Will be thinking about you!!

Did you see I posted about the Texas fire on GPB?

Robbie said...

I did! And the visuals are just terrifying. It has been such a difficult year for the southern Midwest.