I loved this lesson we had during Girl Scout camp, which taught the girls how to safely start and put out a campfire for cooking.
|Edible fire safety lesson for Scouts|
- mini marshmallows and/or cheerios
- potato sticks
- red hots, hot tamales or other candy
- candy corn
- Pull back your hair.
- Create a safety circle outside your "fire circle." (Make sure the area is clear around your plate.)
- Fill a "water bucket" (a cup) and keep nearby.
- Make your fire circle ring with cheerios or mini marshmallows.
- Create an A-frame of "logs" with your pretzels.
- Make a teepee of "tinder" (potato sticks).
- Light with a match (red hots or hot tamales).
- Add your "kindling" (short pretzels or Chinese noodles).
- Candy corn will show it's burning brighter. (optional)
The girls loved this activity, and we were sure to plan an active activity soon after!