Saturday, January 1, 2011

To every time there is a season

New year's resolutions have always seemed an exercise in futility for me. After all, I've lost and regained the same 10 pounds for a decade.

But this year, I'm forseeing a bit more chaos in our lives, mostly driven by work, my husband being in school and the joys and challenges of parenting. So with that, I'm forcing myself to simplify on my own terms.

That means recognizing that there are seasons in life to make changes, and there are seasons for status quo. Much like the advice not to make major changes after a stressful event, I'm planning ahead.

For now, my focus is on decluttering my home, spending time with my family and ensuring there are systems for tracking our expenses on our dwindling funds as we wait (hopefully) for financial aid for spring or our tax refund, both badly needed to see us through the end of 2011.

Later this winter, I'm anticipating a good month focused - and I mean 70-hours a week focused - on work. I hope that whatever systems we come up with will suffice.

When that passes, I'll be back to working on myself and my family. That means eating healthier. Exercising more. Growing our own produce (I'm encouraged by the Four Season Harvest that my husband bought me for Christmas). And being smarter, overall, at the resources, time included, spent in our lives.

What about you? What are your goals for the coming year?

Wishing you a peaceful and happy new year,
Robbie @ Going Green Mama

No comments: