Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Garlic scapes: Great for dinner!

Garlic scape - the long curly strands that grow from the center of a garlic plant - are a simple addition to your dinners and so easy to use. Simply slice thinly (they tend the be hard) and use as a substitute for garlic.

Right now, farmers are practically giving garlic scape away, too, since removing the scapes helps the plant refocus its energy on growing the bulbs for fall. And, since they can last months in your fridge (believe me, I've done it), they're an economical option for flavoring.

A few weeks ago, a favorite vendor gave me some of his scape, on the condition I tell him the difference between the "regular" and the elephant garlic varieties. Both have good, verys similar flavor, however, the bulblets at the top of the garlic scape have little florets inside (looks very similar in texture to broccoli...I'll post a photo later).

I've used the scape as flavoring in stir-fries and low-mein, and last night made a wonderful mushroom sautee' using them. In fact, my toddler willingly ate mushrooms for the first time - and asked for seconds!
Here's how:
Sauteed scapes and mushrooms

8 oz. sliced mushrooms
2 T. olive oil
2 garlic scapes, thinly sliced

Heat olive oil over medium heat. Sautee garlic scapes until the flavor comes out into the oil, then add mushrooms. Cook until brown.

2 comments:

R4SDHC said...

Thanks for the advice! I would never have thought of using the scrapes since all I've ever known about the garlic was using the bulbs. I'll give it a shot next time!

Money Saving Maine-iac said...

Fantastically delicious & simple recipe! I'll give it a go. I don't have scapes growing in the garden this year but for $1.25 a bunch at the farm stand they are inexpensive & soooo worth it.

Thanks for sharing!