Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Recipe: Chicken pasta with spinach and sundried tomatoes

Lately I have been the queen of great culinary intentions. I buy something at the farmers market or bookmark a recipe, only to let the produce languish in the fridge.

Last week was no exception. I'd manage to score one of the few containers of organic spinach from the farmers market, only to get tied up in children's battles and other issues in the past week. My plans of a strawberry-spinach salad went out the door as the kids discovered the berries, and by the following Saturday, my spinach was looking slightly wilted and sad.

And then I got inspired. I stumbled on a recipe at the LA Times site (You can find the original recipe here), searched my pantry, and got to work. Here is the end result:

Spaghetti with chicken, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes

3 boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 package fresh spinach (I'm guessing around 10 ounces, based on the size of the container)
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
3 tablespoons cornstarch
4 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup white wine
1 tablespoon jarred garlic (admittedly cheated that day!)
8 oz. spaghetti
Salt and pepper

Prepare spaghetti according to directions. If using sundried tomatoes that aren't packed in oil, add the tomatoes to the pasta water in the final minutes of cooking.

Heat olive oil in a frying pan. Saute' chicken until done.

In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with 1 cup of water and add to the chicken. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and the spinach to the chicken. Add the wine, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer about 10 minutes or until the spinach is cooked. Serve over pasta.

No comments: